Wednesday, August 5, 2009

"Let go Mommy, Let go"


Did he really say that? I thought it wasn't until your kids were tweens that they didn't want you helping them or at their side, but a week before my sweet Jack turns 2? Will Jack soon be asking me to drop him off at the corner from daycare so that they other kids don't see him with his dorky mother?
We went swimming tonight...a date, just the two of us while Dan bathed Kate at home. I was holding his hand in the water and had a Sponge Bob Square Pants raft in the other. Jack wiggled a bit and out came, clear as the water in the pool, "Let go Mommy, Let go." Of course I did and I couldn't believe where the time has gone...it seems like just yesterday we were bringing him home from the hospital and now he can do so many things himself.
I guess this is ultimately what we wish for as parents but so soon??? He's like a little kite to me...I will let him fly but for now...at least for a few more years, I will have my hand very very close to the string (especially at the pool, the kid is fearless!). I am not ready to let him go quite yet and to be honest, I think he prefers my being close to him more often than not at least for the time being! Later on he was crying for "Mommy Mommy!" and pulling on my pant leg, "I want to play." Ah...the joys of parenting. I'll take every bit of it.