Sunday, August 19, 2007

Baby T has arrived!

Baby T has finally arrived! After three weeks on bed rest, we were eager for Baby T to come! I had high blood pressure which was of concern so when Baby T passed his due date, it was time for an induction. We arrived to the hospital on August 14th at 7:00 a.m. to be induced. At 8:00, I was set up and ready to go. Our nurses were amazing and made the process so positive. In addition, we had a doula and friend, Sara Ballard, help us with the birthing process. Her calm energy, supporting words of encourgament and excitement for us made the birthing even that much more wonderful. Around 11:00, the contractions were coming fast and furious. The pitocin was really giving me a run for my money, the contraction cycles were 2 minutes apart. Yikes! At 11:30, I said the "code word, which was moist" to Dan and Sara, meaning that I really wanted an epidural. We had originally planned on a "natural birth" but the pitocin didn't allow me time to warm-up to contractions. It seemed like I went from 0 to 180 in a matter of minutes. I received an epidural around 12 and felt better instantly. Dan was such a great support, encouraging me to breathe and telling me "how awesome" I was doing. At 2:00, I was ready to push. I pushed for 41 minutes and Jack Anthony Turpin joined the world! Jack was 21" long, weighed 6 lbs. 11 oz. and has dark blue eyes. I think he is a spitting image of Dan!
I spent an hour "imprinting" with him (which felt like 2 minutes), where he latched-on and I admired him and thought in amazement about everything that had just happened. Dan took him to be bathed and to take photos while they finished up with me. Unfortunately, I started to hemorrage, which led to my needing a shot to stop it which I apparently was allergic to. I got hives on my legs and then my blood pressure shot up. They were really worried about me. Dan was gone quite awhile and came back with the news that Little Jack had low blood sugar and would be admitted into the NICU! I was transported to the recovery room and had to wait until my blood pressure was low enough to see Jack. It was terrible waiting! At 9:30, I was allowed to see him, the elevator ride seemed to take forever!
We spent the next 5 days in the hospital waiting for Jack's blood sugar levels to maintain on their own. During that time, we met so many great nurses and were under excellent care. It was great to have so much 1:1 time with nurses and to ask all those "first time parent" questions. However, seeing Jack with IV's, wires, et cetera we could have done without.
On Saturday, he joined us in our room and we spent the day taking care of him on our own, making sure he was getting enough food to keep him healthy and enjoying the first "true moments" of parenthood! Dan and I had quite the initiation as we woke up every 3 hours to a wet diaper and onesie (our fault for not pulling it tight enough) and struggled to get him to latch on and eat the proper amount of breastmilk and formula. We made it through and couldn't wait to be told "It is time to go!"
At 12:30, we discharged Baby Jack from the hospital and headed home as two very proud and excited parents with a gorgeous baby in the backseat. He slept all the way to Manor and got two feet full of dog licks upon his arrival.
We are so excited and can't get enough of this little guy! He really is something great!


Alli Olson said...

well only you would create a blog for your child. but it doesn't surprise me one bit. I'm glad to hear that everything is going well now. I already printed out pictures and they are in my photo album. I was showing baby Jack off to the Hicks side of the family on Sunday- they all thought he was adorable. I can't wait to see him with my own eyes....maybe when I get back from guiness land! give him a kiss for me!

love- Alli

Franklin & Lisa Spees said...

Congratulations!! He is a cutie already. I am glad to hear he is home with you guys. Take care and enjoy these precious days.